Homemade Kahlua !!
If you are looking for a tasty homemade gift, a lower-cost version of the brand-name liqueur or just a fun cooking project, try making your own Kahlua at home. This easy to follow recipe produces a rich, velvety coffee-flavored elixir that is the main ingredient of drinks such as White Russians, Mudslides and Chunky Monkeys. Kahlua is also a delicious "on the rocks" drink, whether straight over ice or topped off with a little half-and-half cream. (From ehow.com)
- Ready In:
- 504hrs 20mins
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup instant coffee
- 1 3⁄4 liters high quality vodka
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- Combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar and water in a small sauce pan. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the coffee. Allow to cool completely.
- Pour into a large plastic container with a lid. Add the vodka, vanilla flavoring and vanilla bean.
- Cover and let stand for two to three weeks or until fully aged. Kahlua, when properly stored, can last safely for up to a few years.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Making this for a second time. I used exactly 1/2 the sugars (for my friends who don't like too much sweet). Instead of white sugar I substituted cane sugar because its so much more yummy! I used the Costco Kirkland brand giant bottle (1.75litre) of French vodka and saved just a few ounces to make some drinks from ;) It got rave reviews last time to those who received some as a gift!Reply
Why is this recipe in liters? Google won't even tackle 3/4 of a liter. Water, sugars, and coffee are measured in cups. Bt the vodka in liters. Can I get this recipe in measurements I can understand? At 72 I am not about to embark on a Math career. All I want is a Kahlua recipe, please and thank you.Replies 2