Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
a must have for thanksgiving (I opted out of the almonds and it turned out terrifically.)
- 1 lb cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, grated
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, slivered (optional)
- combine everything (except almonds) in a skillet.
- cook uncovered over medium heat until most of the cranberries pop open and the mixture is thickened, 7-10 minute.
- if desired, add almonds.
- let cool, and serve or refrigerate up to a day.
absolutely wonderful, a nice change from the canned. I substituted the almonds with pecans (chopper) and added some dried chopped apricots, and raisins. and an apple it turned out just as tasty as the original recipe, with just a bit of difference.
I've never done fresh cranberry relish, but this was easy and turned out great! Not too tart, not too sweet. It may also be good by adding a chopped orange after cooking. Took this to the family Christmas dinner and everyone loved it. Thanks!
This recipe is very good. A nice change from my regular recipe. I reduced the recipe quantities by 1/4 since cranberry bags are now 12 oz, not 16. I think, for my personal tastes, I might reduce the sugar even a little more. I also added 2 T. amaretto after the mixture had cooled. Yum! Thank you for posting this recipe.