Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a dressed up "yankee-style" pot roast. No tomato sauce here! The herbs and spices really blend together well for a delicious gravy. You could probably finish this in the crock pot as well. Thicken the gravy at the end with a slurry made from flour and water.
- 4 lbs boneless chuck roast (bone-in ok too)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 5 -6 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
vegetables as desired
- potatoes or carrots or onions or celery, etc
- Mix together the flour, celery salt, mustard and pepper.
- Dredge the roast on all sides with the mixture.
- Heat the veggie oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add the roast and brown on all sides.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the veggies.
- Cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Add veggies the last hour if using.
- Make a slurry from flour and water and thicken the gravy as desired.