Recipe by Kathie's Kafe
This is another That's My Home recipe. I am posting because there has been a request for this type of roast.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) eye of round roast
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion (grated)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs kosher salt (1 box)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine oil, onion and seasonings in heavy plastic bag; mix well.
- Add roast; coat well with marinade and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- Combine Kosher salt and water to form a thick paste. Pat 1 cup of paste into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle in foiled lined pan. Place roast on salt layer; pack remaining salt paste around meat to seal well.
- Bake at 350°F 60 - 70 minutes or until thermometer registers 135°F (Steam may cause salt crust to crack slightly during roasting.).
- Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes. Remove and discard salt crust. Carve thinly.