Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
An easy recipe that uses any combination of herbs that you like best. Herbs are rolled up in the dough jellyroll style giving your bread a great pinwheel effect. (You can also "cheat" and use a pre-made pizza dough and use this method if you like...not quite as good but who will know???) =)
- 1 (1 tablespoon) package dried yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour, approximately
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dry milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
one or more finely chopped fresh herbs of your choice
- 1 tablespoon marjoram or 1 tablespoon thyme or 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons dill or 2 tablespoons basil (if using dry herbs, halve the amounts)
- Blend yeast and 1 1/2 cup of the flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, salt, milk, and warm water.
- Beat well Add butter and beat until the batter pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add remaining flour until dough has formed a ball.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface 8-10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise until doubled.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, flatten into a rectangle.
- Sprinkle with your favorite herbs.
- Roll up jellyroll style and shape into a 6x9 oval.
- Place seam side down in a greased loaf pan.
- Grease top of loaf with a little oil, too.
- Cover set aside until dough has doubled.
- Bake 375F about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately turn out onto a wire rack to cool.