Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
There are lots of biscuit recipes but the savoury flavour of fresh herbs make these unique! I've itemized the ingredients from Harrowsmith Country Life but use whatever herbs appeal to you ........ or whatever you have in the pantry. Last night, I used basil, parsley & green onions. BUT, if you're forced to use dried herbs, just cut the quantity in half.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375F & line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl; stir in herbs & 1 cup of the cheese.
- Whisk egg & milk together in a small bowl; pour over the dry ingredients & stir until just combined.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface; pat into a square that is approximately 8" and 2" thick.
- Slice into 8 rectangular pieces about 4" x 2" & transfer to the baking sheet.
- Brush with a little milk & sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake in oven until golden brown, approximately 18 to 20 minutes.
- Although you can serve these at room temperature, I prefer them warm!
Apologies to the folks who made these, but I found them really unfortunate. I'm meticulous when it comes to following a recipe for the first time; it's possible I made an error somewhere, but I don't think I did. These came out of the oven bland and mealy--frankly, they were inedible. The fresh herbs were both too intense and at the same time not flavorful enough, and the dough was dry, tasteless, and tough. Fresh herbs are too expensive to waste on something that doesn't work, so I'm not sure I would try these again.
Great biscuits! Biscuits have been a recent addition to our menu and am loving how they can have a bowl of soup or chili at lunch seem so extra special! I am especially fond of chives, parsley and basil. These make up beautifully and have met the taste test all around, along with requests that more be made! Thank you CountryLady.