Recipe by P4
I got this recipe from a wonderful friend who is a chef and cooking instructor in Canada. I love it because it is super-moist, and has intense flavor. In a test of 5 different banana bread recipes, this is the one my husband and neighbors liked the best.
Top Review by Normaone
This is the best banana bread I have ever made. It is so moist that is really needs to stand a while before you cut into it, if you can wait that long! It was a contribution to my DH 'Goody Day" at work and disappeared in minutes. Needless to say, it was a success. Thanks!
- 2 -3 bananas, black ripe
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon dark rum (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash or purée the bananas and buttermilk until smooth.
- Add the baking soda and mix.
- This activates the baking soda and neutralizes the soda taste.
- Cream the brown sugar and butter together until smooth.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add the banana purée and combine.
- The mixture often appears curdled at this stage.
- Add the baking powder to the flour; add gradually to the banana mixture.
- Stir just enough to combine evenly.
- Flavour with the extract.
- Pour into sprayed or greased pans.
- Fill the pans 2/3 full for even cooking.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven until set in the centre.
- A larger loaf pan will take about 45-50 minutes.
- Reduce the cooking time for smaller pans.
- Use a wooden skewer to test the centre.
- Leave in the pans for 10-15 minutes before turning out.
- Do not leave in the pans as the loaves sweat and become soggy.