1 hr 12 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled if desired and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 2/3 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add carrots, onion, and celery.
- 3Cover; cook about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Stir in 3 cups water, the potatoes, tomatoes, bouillon, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- 5Bring to boiling; decrease heat.
- 6Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- 7In a screw-top jar, combine 1/2 cup cold water and the flour.
- 8Cover; shake until well mixed.
- 9Stir flour mixture into the vegetable mixture.
- 10Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- 11Dumplings--in a large bowl, stir together the biscuit mix, shredded carrot, and parsley.
- 12Add 1 cup water; stir with a fork just until combined.
- 13Gently stir cabbage and peas into stew; taste and adjust seasoning.
- 14Using two spoons, drop dumpling dough into eight mounds onto hot stew.
- 15Cover and simmer about 12 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover during cooking).
- 16Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Vegetable Stew With Carrot Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.8
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.3 mg
- Sodium 614.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes