Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
Make and share this Hearty Vegetable Stew With Carrot Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled if desired and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 2⁄3 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 1⁄4 cups biscuit mix
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, and celery.
- Cover; cook about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 3 cups water, the potatoes, tomatoes, bouillon, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Bring to boiling; decrease heat.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- In a screw-top jar, combine 1/2 cup cold water and the flour.
- Cover; shake until well mixed.
- Stir flour mixture into the vegetable mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Dumplings--in a large bowl, stir together the biscuit mix, shredded carrot, and parsley.
- Add 1 cup water; stir with a fork just until combined.
- Gently stir cabbage and peas into stew; taste and adjust seasoning.
- Using two spoons, drop dumpling dough into eight mounds onto hot stew.
- Cover and simmer about 12 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover during cooking).
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese.