Recipe by Julie3551
This homestyle Italian soup is quick, simple and delicious. As most of the ingredients are either pantry or kitchen staples, it is easy to fix for unexpected guests, busy days, or whenever you just want a good bowl of soup in a hurry. I usually use frozen spinach and don't alway puree the tomatoes, which cuts down on prep time even more. Enjoy
Top Review by katew
I love soup and this was terrific - I used frozen spinach and just sort of chopped up my tomatoes so mine was a chunkier texture - I had a handful of angel hair pasta to use up so dropped that in too - I had intended to add some diced carrots but forgot - so will try that next time. Made for Zingo, ZWT4 .
- 1 lb spinach
- 1 onion, medium sized
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 2 ounces bacon
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (any white or red beans will work)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and coarsely chop spinach, discarding tough stems.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic, cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Puree tomatoes with juice from can, rinse and drain the beans.
- Saute the onion and bacon in the olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and garlic and cook over high heat until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beans and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with a spoonful of Parmesan cheese.