Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Okay, this is for all vegetarians--a nice gumbo with no meat.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups no-salt-added tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked quick-cooking brown rice or 1 1⁄2 cups white rice, if prefered
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped frozen okra, thawed
- Spray 4-quart Dutch oven with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, parsley, oregano, pepper sauce and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add rice. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add okra; cook, covered, 5 minutes more or until okra is tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.