Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Who wouldn't love a good chicken pie? I got this recipe from Creative Cook's Kitchen. I have been using their recipes for years and this is a very good one.
For the Crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 2 -3 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrot
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- Making the crust:.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture to form coarse crumbs.
- Beat together 1 egg and water.
- Add to flour mixture; mix until a soft dough forms.
- Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour.
- Making the filling:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add onion and thyme.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together cream, broth, flour, cornstarch and paprika; add to onion mixture.
- Whisk until thick.
- Add carrots, peas and chicken to cream mixture; mix well.
- Pour into a 6 inch deep-dish pie pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12 inch circle.
- Place on top of filling; trim excess dough.
- Flute edges of pie.
- Prick the top of crust with a fork or cut slits to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Lightly beat remaining egg.
- Brush crust with egg and bake until filling is bubbly and crust is browned, about 30 minutes.