Tisy Adams's Note:
Who wouldn't love a good chicken pie? I got this recipe from Creative Cook's Kitchen. I have been using their recipes for years and this is a very good one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 2 -3 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- 1Making the crust:.
- 2In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- 3Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture to form coarse crumbs.
- 4Beat together 1 egg and water.
- 5Add to flour mixture; mix until a soft dough forms.
- 6Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour.
- 7Making the filling:.
- 8Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 9In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add onion and thyme.
- 10Saute for 5 minutes.
- 11Whisk together cream, broth, flour, cornstarch and paprika; add to onion mixture.
- 12Whisk until thick.
- 13Add carrots, peas and chicken to cream mixture; mix well.
- 14Pour into a 6 inch deep-dish pie pan.
- 15On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12 inch circle.
- 16Place on top of filling; trim excess dough.
- 17Flute edges of pie.
- 18Prick the top of crust with a fork or cut slits to allow steam to escape during baking.
- 19Lightly beat remaining egg.
- 20Brush crust with egg and bake until filling is bubbly and crust is browned, about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.2
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 252.5 mg
- Sodium 690.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 32.1 g