Recipe by mermaidmagic
My husband's favorite beef stew. Tastes even better the next day for leftovers. Recipe is from our local Whole Food's Market.
Top Review by Bev I Am
Very nice stew! I did wonder, however if the temperature given in step #1 was correctly given. I cooked on 225° (as specified) for three hours, as directed, but the meat was not tender and there were no sign of bubbles or heat. I increased the temperature to 350° and cooked for another 1 1/2 hours. The stew was finally served and it was very tasty. I served with bread and butter. Thanks, mermaidmagic!
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced into rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 cup jarred or whole canned tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 tiny potatoes or 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- In a large dutch oven/soup pot, warm oil over medium high heat.
- Add half of beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown beef on all sides then remove from pot.
- Brown remaining beef in pot, then remove and set aside.
- Saute onions until browned.
- Add garlic and peppercorns and saute a few minutes more.
- Add flour and toss to coat.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add wine, chicken broth, tomatoes, bay leaves and browned meat.
- Stir to combine.
- Place pot in oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and carrots and return pot to oven for another 2 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!