Recipe by sbera007
This is one of my bf favorite dishes with a healthy twist. We did the math and this ends up about 380 per serving (2 stuffed noodles). Enjoy sans guilt!
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes (drained)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 hot Italian turkey sausage (removed from casing and crumbled)
- 2 cups fresh spinach (packed)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti (cooked)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine onion, green pepper, garlic, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, thyme, basil, oregano, red pepper in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. When heated through reduce heat to low and cover. (simmer about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet and saute spinach until wilted. Set aside to cool. When cool chop the spinach.
- Add sausage to skillet spinach was in and cook until browned. Drain.
- In a bowl, combine spinach, cheeses, sausage.
- Place a layer of sauce in the bottom of a 13 by 9 pan.
- Stuff noodles with cheese, spinach, and sausage and place in pan.
- Top with the rest of the sauce.
- Bake 350 for 30 to 45 minutes.