Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. This dish is created using Italian and southwest infusion, bringing a flare to a popular and traditional comfort food. Taking the idea of lasagna to a whole new level with ground meat, fresh vegetables, tortillas, ooey-gooey cheese and spices reminiscent of traditional taco seasonings, my Healthy Southwest Lasagna will be sure to leave you wanting seconds and not with guilt and a busting waist line. Enjoy!
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground turkey (99%/1%)
- 8 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 16 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed
- 3⁄4 cup fresh corn (previously roasted or boiled. frozen is ok, too)
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 16 ounces low-fat monterey jack cheese
- 16 ounces black beans
- 4 98% fat free tortillas
- 6 ounces salsa verde (only 1/4-1/2 cup is needed) or 6 ounces green enchilada sauce (only 1/4-1/2 cup is needed)
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package sazon con azafran seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or flakes)
- 10 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup water
- Chop the turkey bacon and start to brown in a large skillet. Add ground turkey; use a spatula to separate meat and brown. Add salt and 1 teaspoon pepper while the meat is browning. Open the can of black beans and place in a separate pot; add ½ cup of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, mash to refried bean texture using a potato masher and add ½ teaspoon pepper and garlic powder, turn off once a somewhat viscous paste consistency has been reached. When the meat is browned, add tomatoes, red bell peppers, corn, cilantro, cumin, cayenne pepper, Sazon and remaining 1 cup of water. Mix and allow to simmer, about ten minutes until the water is almost completely gone. Add cream cheese and turn off heat. Add black beans to meat and cheese mixture and incorporate thoroughly.
- Turn on oven to 350 Degrees. Place Reynolds Aluminum Foil in am 8X8 glass cooking dish. Spread (enough to barely cover the bottom, about ¼ cup) Verde sauce on the bottom of the dish. Cut tortillas to match and fit into the bottom of the pan (it is ok to overlap a little). Layer 1/3 of the shredded cheese on top of the tortillas. Place half of the meat sauce on top of the cheese and tortillas. Cut more tortillas and fit on top of meat mixture. Add another light layer of Verde sauce on top of tortillas (just to cover tortillas). Add 1/3 bag of shredded cheese on top. Layer the remainder of meat sauce on top of cheese. Finish with one more layer of cut and fitted tortillas, a light covering of Verde sauce and the remainder of the Monterey jack cheese. Cover the dish with Reynolds foil and place into the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the oven up to 500 (or broil), take the foil off and allow the cheese to brown 3-10 minutes depending on preference and oven heat distribution. Take out of the oven, allow to rest 5-10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
- Optional toppings: Fresh cilantro, Fat free sour cream, hot sauce.
- *The layering of the dish from bottom to top: Reynolds Wrap. Verde sauce. Cut and fitted tortillas. Shredded Cheese. Meat Sauce. Cut and fitted tortillas. Verde sauce. Shredded Cheese. Meat Sauce. Cut and fitted tortillas. Verde sauce. Shredded Cheese. Reynolds Wrap.
- * The above recipe was created with the intention of being a healthy alternative to lasagna and traditional taco/ burrito ingredients. Preference of any meats and cheeses can be substituted to make the dish your own and satisfy your palate, creativity and waist line. Enjoy!