Recipe by J-Lynn
With wheat germ and oatmeal, I wasn't sure how good these would be... but they are one of the best chocolatey brownie recipes I've tasted outside of a box mix!! I got the recipe off allhomemadecookies.com and wanted to save it here.
Top Review by joanne.smolka
I should have read the reviews first. The brownies taste very good, but indeed I had problems with them being crumbly. I made a couple of substitutions: coconut oil instead of butter, and 1/4 cup hemp powder instead of powdered milk. If I make this again, I will add a tbsp or 2 of liquid I think to increase moisture.
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or 6 ounces carob chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup quick oats
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened toasted wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 4 large egg whites or 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup raw sugar or 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate chips and butter in the microwave about 45 seconds; stirring occasionally until completely melted; set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients, except for sugar, in a bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites with sugar and vanilla until slightly thick.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and then the dry ingredients.
- Spread into an 8-inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes; until edges are firm and top is crisp.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.