Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a variation of another healthy broccoli soup, recipe 27337, with a bit of a different spin.
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth or 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil with the bay leaf for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broccoli, and broth, wine, and water. Note: if using already cooked broccoli, add in after simmering for 10 minutes to just heat.
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently, covered for 10 minutes. The broccoli should be tender but still bright green.
- Remove the bay leaf and cool slightly.
- Blend the soup in blender or food processor until completely smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return to pot and reheat gently.
- Pour the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the toasted sunflower seeds.
This was simple and great - a nice depth and balance of flavor. I roughly pureed about 2/3 of the soup to give it a thicker consistency. We had it with a salad as dinner and the two of us ate all of it. Thanks for sharing!