Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This healthy dinner is easy to make and very yummy! I like to add whatever extra veggies I have on hand to change it up. My husband is a picky eater with vegetables but he loves this dish! NOTES: I add a little more olive oil while the veggies are cooking as it adds a nice coat to the pasta. I also add extra pasta to this to make it stretch a little further. We really like adding summer squash as well and I have been omitting the peas lately because hubby dislikes them.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, more added as needed
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, julienned into 1 inch strips
- 1 -2 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning or 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 cup bow tie pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Start boiling water for pasta. Cook bowtie pasta until just al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, saute chicken in oil for about 5 minutes, or until just done.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- To the same skillet add the red bell pepper and onion and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add another tablespoon of olive oil if needed to moisten.
- Add the zucchini (and summer squash if using) and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute until veggies get crisp-tender.
- Add the thawed peas, tomatoes and seasonings; stir-fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add cooked pasta, chicken and parmesan cheese; turn off heat and stir until combined.
- Add more olive oil if necessary to coat pasta and sprinkle with more parmesan cheese if you'd like and enjoy!
I made this again recently; I'd forgotten how good this recipe is. I actually ended up accidentally using pork cubes instead of chicken (the frozen meat wasn't labeled) but it tasted just as good that way. I think any meat cut into small pieces would work.
Great recipe! At first I forgot to include the parmesan cheese, and it still tasted great. Instead of using frozen peas (which I didn't have), I used canned peas. The zucchini was perfect. An all-around great meal!
great healthy meal. it was a lot better than i thought it would be and my whole family enjoyed it. thanks for a great healthy recipe.