Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
83% less cholesterol and 45% less total fat than the original recipe. Unsweetened applesauce substitutes for part of the oil in these moist bars to cut the fat by nearly half. From the October 10, 2012 Live Better America newsletter.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup refrigerated fat-free liquid egg product (like Egg Beaters)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) package1/3-less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and salt. In another large bowl, stir together egg product, carrot, zucchini, brown sugar, raisins, walnuts, oil, applesauce, honey and vanilla. Add carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For frosting: In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Frost bars with frosting. Cut into bars.