Recipe by Mrs. McSmith
This recipe is my healthier adaptation of a recipe found in the Cooking Club of America's Cooking Pleasures magazine. It is really great.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal
- 6 tablespoons Smart Balance Omega Plus, chilled, cut up
- 3⁄4 cup ice (or cold water)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup celery
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby peas
Directions See How It's Made
- For the crust: Combine dry ingredients in a food processor (or small bowl). Pulse (or cut) in butter until mix resembles coarse crumbs with some pea size pieces. Add ice and blend (or slowly add cold water) until a dough begins to form. Shape into a flat round; cover and refrigerate one to 24 hours.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 10- to 12-inch round (same size as your cast iron skillet). Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet; cover and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes. Heat oven to 400ºF. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- For the filling: Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Heat cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil; heat until hot. Cook chicken in two batches 3 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides, adding additional 1 tablespoon oil for second batch. (Don’t cook all the way through.) Remove chicken.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Cook mushrooms and 1 teaspoon of the salt 2 minutes or until mushrooms release juices. Add onion and garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in Italian seasoning.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup flour; stir until flour is lightly browned. Add broth and any accumulated juices from chicken, stirring continuously to prevent lumps. Bring to a boil.
- Add carrots, potatoes and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; reduce heat to medium-low. Add celery. Simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and sauce is of desired consistency. Remove from heat; stir in chicken. Sprinkle peas over filling but don’t stir in (frozen vegetables will help keep dough from melting).
- Top filling with cold dough, carefully pressing edges against edge of skillet. Cut several steam vents in center of dough. Place skillet on baking sheet; bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.