Recipe by Just Call Me Martha
Heavenly combination of Chocolate, Coffee and Hazelnuts with rich Mascarpone Cheese. Definitely fit for your best company. This dessert looks wonderful with whipping cream piped around the edges or in dollops and then decorated with chocolate-covered espresso beans. Recipe originally from the Kettle Creek Inn, Port Stanley, Ontario.
- 3⁄4 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 5 1⁄2 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄8 cup coffee liqueur
- 1⁄8 cup Frangelico
- 1 tablespoon espresso, granules
- freshly ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using food processor, chop hazelnuts, chocolate, orange zest and lemon zest until finely ground. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks with 1/4 cup of the sugar until light and creamy (about 5 minutes). Fold into hazelnut mixture.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually beat in another 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form. Continue beating until stiff peaks form and then fold into hazelnut mixture.
- Spread in greased and floured springform pan. (It is also a good idea to put parchment on the bottom of the pan for easier removal.).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool and then unmould.
- In bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, cream, remaining sugar and liqueurs. Beat until stiff and smooth. Spread over cake.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with espresso granules and nutmeg. Decorate with whipped cream and chocolate covered espresso beans if desired.