Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
I've eaten pineapple and cream cheese sandwiches before so I can't wait to try this combo.
- 2 cups crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- milk (optional) or mayonnaise (optional)
- bread, slices
- In saucepan combine pineapple and sugar. Bring to boil. Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Cool. Stir in nuts.
- Soften and mash cheese with enough milk or mayonnaise to make a good spreading consistency.
- Combine with pineapple mixture.
- Spread on thin bread, top as sandwich.
- Trim and cut into squares.
We serve these on our caterings and they are fantastic. We take the King's Hawaiian Rolls and split them and leave them as an open sandwich and we top them with a thin slice of kiwi.
I had saved this recipe for a long time; I should have paid more attention to the directions. I missed the part about the pineapple being drained. :( My intention was to use this on muffins, as a treat for Easter. Once mixed, with the undrained crushed pineapple, the mixture was a little soupy (MY fault), but tasty. I then recalled a similar recipe that a friend had made many years ago, as a dip for potato chips, served in a pineapple half. I tried this filling as a dip for chips, and it was great. Just like the one I remembered. I will make this again, AS DIRECTED, but wanted to post about my mistake, to help others...Thanks for sharing, Marg!
5 Stars all the way! These are so good, even my hubby who thought they looked like "chick" food loved them. Made for The Big Tea Party in the Photo Forum.