Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is wonderful served with crispy fried chicken or baked ham! Prep time is approximate. Cook time is how long I chilled mine.
- 4 cups fresh shredded green cabbage
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange sections
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice (from canned oranges)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- Shred cabbage into large bowl.
- Drain orange sections, but reserve the juice.
- Drain and measure the pineapple.
- Add salt and spices to shredded cabbage.
- Add the orange juice from the oranges and add the ground white pepper.
- Toss lightly.
- Add the drained fruit, tossing all with a fork.
- Stir in the mayonnaise.
- Chill well before serving.
I wanted a lighter side to go with dinner and thought this would be nice and refreshing. I did like the added flavors and textures of the oranges and pineapple but found the ginger to be overpowering. DH liked it but I couldn't eat mine. Not too much mayo in this, which is good for me since I don't like the stuff. I used black pepper and it was fine.
Very good. Made this for a Luau Pool Party and it was well received. Also a nice alternative to the traditional coleslaw we are used to.
We did not care for this. It was a strang combination of flavors... we thought it should be sweter so after trying it as recommended I added 1/2 cup of Splenda and let it sit for a couple hours. We still did not care for it.