Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from a very good cook in our church, Alma Lee Alexander.
- 6 cups zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cottage cheese, small curd
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Place 3 C of sliced zucchini in greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Saute ground beef and onion until beef is brown.
- Add rice and seasonings.
- Place this over the zucchini slices.
- Spoon on cottage cheese.
- Put on the rest of zucchini slices.
- Spread on soup.
- Sprinkle on cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or longer, watching to make sure cheese doesn't turn too brown.
Delicious recipe. Made it twice already and it was a big hit with my family. I added some eggplant, tomatoes and onions to the zucchini base. Used regular rice (took just a little more time cooking)and I once used sour cream because I did not have any cottage left and it was delicious as well! This will become a regular meal in our family, thanks for sharing!
We really loved this casserole. The best part was how great the zucchini tasted mixed with the ground beef and cottage cheese. YUM. I love zucchini and this meal-in-one recipe is a delicious way to have it. I made one mistake, though; I thought the rice was supposed to be made before adding it to the recipe, so I cooked it beforehand. When the baked casserole was cut, however, there was a lot of extra liquid. I realized I should have put in uncooked rice to soak up all the great zucchini juices. I strained out the extra liquid, however, and the casserole was a real winner. The three of us finished all of the casserole (meant to serve 8). Thanks for this terrific casserole recipe, Lavender Lynn. Your friend, Alma, is indeed a good cook!
Yummy, easy - what more could one ask for? I used regular rice, added a little water and let it simmer with the ground beef for about 5 minutes before putting the casserole together. Also threw in some cherry tomatoes just because! made for CCQ Culinary Quest