Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this little beauty in a TOH recipe collection cookbook. I have modified the recipe to my families tastes. Please taste the soup before adding the salt. Sometimes it will not need it depending on the saltiness of the juices or soup brands you will use. This is perfect for a blustery evening meal. I enjoy it best once it has sat for a bit so the flavors have a chance to "meld".
- 1 lb ground chuck, browned and drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green peppers or 1 cup red pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 4 cups tomato juice or 4 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheese, as topping (optional)
- Combine all but cheese in a large saucepan.
- Bring slowly to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve topped with optional cheese.
Great soup! I made this for a casual Saturday dinner for four and served it with fresh bread. All gave it a solid five stars. It's hearty with lots of flavor. I'm adding it to my favorite soups cookbook. Thanks, Michelle!