Recipe by Sherri at the Beach
Was looking for a way to use leftover ham and cabbage my father-in-law had grown in his garden and here is what I came up with. My hubby ate three bowls until he couldn't eat anymore.
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, chopped
- 4 red potatoes, small dice
- 6 spring onions (or green)
- 2 cups ham (I used leftover baked ham)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in big pot and simmer for at least one hour or until potatoes and cabbage are tender.
- Remove 1/4 of the chowder to a tall container ( like a sugar storage) and hand mix until smooth and creamy and return to pot and serve. If you dont have a hand mixer or immersion blender, pour into blender and blend until smooth. Beware of blending hot soups for splatter.
- Serve hot with saltine crackers on the side, if desired.