Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe on one of those little leaflets that they pass out at the supermarket. It's a great way to use up leftover ham and a great family pleaser. Serve with lots of bread to soak up the sauce.
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cups chopped ham
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, over medium heat, cook bacon and onions until tender.
- Add tomatoes, stirring to break up (or use diced tomatoes.) Stir in beans, ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin and hot pepper flakes.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add ham, cook 10 minutes longer to warm through.
I registered for food.com just to rate this one recipe. It is unbelievable, don't change a thing. I won my company's chili-cook off today and had to send the recipe out to everyone who tasted it because they want to make it this weekend at their Halloween parties. Everyone has been talking about it all afternoon. Thank you from the bottom of all our stomachs!! And thanks for making me a rockstar for the day!!
What a unique and delicious recipe. Its the sweetest chili I've had but I couldn't stop eating it. Definitely a keeper. I added a can of corn for more veggies
Really nice flavor. I didn't have kidney beans, so I just added another can of pork and beans. Served with some shredded cheese on top. Next time I'll add some chopped onions and maybe some sour cream to the condiment choice. :)