mary winecoff's Note:
This salad is cooked but should be served at room temperature. To cut back on cooking time you can use canned or frozen lima beans. Posted for ZWT4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups lima beans
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 lbs ham, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely minced
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head red-leaf lettuce, separated into leaves, washed and patted dry
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 1In a large bowl, combine the beans with cold water to cover them by at least three inches. Soak overnight. Drain the beans and transfer them to a large, heavy pot. Add fresh cold water to cover by at least three inches, set over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring once or twice, for 25 minutes. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the salt and continue to cook gently until the beans are just tender, 15 to 25 minutes longer. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- 2In a large skillet over medium heat combine the ham and 3 tablespoons of the corn oil.
- 3Cook, tossing and stirring often, until the ham is crisp and brown, 6 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the ham to the bowl with the beans. do not clean the pan.
- 4Set the skillet over hight heat and stir in the maple syrup, cider vinegar and the remaining corn oil. Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping to dissolve any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Stir in the thyme, boil 1 minutes and pour the hot dressing over the ham and beans. Add the carrots and stir. Season with the remaining salt and a generous grind of black pepper and stir again. Cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 5Bring the salad to return to room temperature. Adjust the seasoning. Serve on lettuce leaves and top with red onion.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Lima Bean Salad With Maple Thyme Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 765.5
- Calories from Fat 542
- Total Fat 60.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 79.3 mg
- Sodium 3027.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 23.2 g