Wheat Berry (Or Farro) and Lima Bean Salad
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat berries or whole spelt (farro)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (herb or garlic flavored)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 seeded and chopped cucumber (large)
- 1 cup frozen lima beans (thawed)
- 1 seeded and chopped tomato (large)
- 1 seeded and chopped red bell pepper (med)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Bring water and first 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add the wheat berries or spelt; return to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered 45 to 60 minutes or until tender and drain.
- Rinse with cold running water and drain again.
- Or - in a large saucepan soak spelt in water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours. Do not drain, bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer wheat berries or spelt to a large bowl.
- Add lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper - toss to combine and let stand 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cucumber, lima beans, tomato, sweet pepper, olive oil, mint and basil.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 3 days.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!