Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from a pamphlet named Florida Recipes and was produced by Florida's Department of Agriculture.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups minced cooked ham
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 12 slices white bread
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute onion,green pepper,tomatoes and ham in butter.Stir mixture over low heat until moisture is reduced.Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Spread bread slices with mayonnaise.Arrange 6 slices in 13-1/2 x 9 buttered baking dish.Top each slice with ham filling and then another slice of bread.
- Beat eggs with milk, water and seasonings; pour over sandwiches. Sprinkle grated cheese over sandwiches.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until sandwiches are puffed and browned.
- To serve, cut around sandwiches with a spatula and lift out with surrounding egg custard.