Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
My Mom used to make this a lot when we still lived in Germany. It is a nice hearty meal.
Make and share this Gulasch (german Stew) recipe from Food.com.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 8 ounces dry egg noodles
- Cut onion in half and slice.
- In a large soup pot melt half of the butter and fry the garlic and onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the bell peppers in half, take the seeds out and slice lengthwise.
- Add to the onions, fry for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If it isn't already, cut the meat into 1 inch cubes.
- Take the onions and bell peppers out of the pot with a slotted spoon, set aside.
- Brown the meat on all sides.
- Sprinkle the flour on top of the meat and stir to coat.
- Quickly add the beef broth.
- Stir well.
- Add the sour cream and spices and mix well.
- Return the onions and bell peppers to the pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Set aside.
- Cut mushrooms in big chunks.
- In a medium frying pan melt remaining butter and fry mushrooms for 5-10 minutes.
- When the stew is fully cooked add the mushrooms and return to boiling.
- Let simmer for another 3-5 minutes, stir well and serve on top of pasta.