2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
From Cook's Illustrated magazine, Feb 09. Serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9.85 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1587.57 g boneless beef short ribs, trimmed of excess fat or 3175.14 g bone-in beef short ribs, bones removed and trimmed of excess fat and gristle
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 946.36 ml thinly sliced onions (2 large onions)
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 6 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 236.59 ml Guinness stout
- 236.59 ml beef broth
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut crosswise in 2-inch pieces
- 78.07 ml pitted prunes, cut in half
- 4 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 59.14 ml cold water
- 2.46 ml gelatin powder
- 1Place oven rack in upper-middle position and preheat to 300°F.
- 2Pat beef dry with paper towels. Stir together salt and pepper and sprinkle over beef. Heat 1 tbsp oil in Dutch oven until smoking. Add half of beef and cook without moving, 4-6 minutes, until well browned. Turn beef over and cook second side until well browned, another 4-6 minutes. If fat begins to smoke, reduce heat. Transfer beef to medium bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- 3Reduce heat to medium, add onion, and cook, stirring often, until softened and barely browned, 12-15 minutes. (If onions darken too quickly, add 1-2 tbsp water to pan.).
- 4Add tomato paste and stir constantly until it browns on sides and bottom of pan, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Turn heat up to medium-high, add Guinness, and simmer, scraping up fond from sides and bottom. Add beef broth, carrots, prunes, thyme, and bay leaf. Add beef and any juices in the bowl. Cover and bring to a simmer. Transfer to oven and cook 2 to 2½ hours, turning meat twice with tongs during cooking. When done, a fork will slip easily in and out of meat.
- 5Place water in a small bowl and sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer meat and carrots to serving platter; tent with foil. Strain cooking liquid through a fine strainer into a fat separator. Press on solids to extract as much liquid as possible, then discard solids. Allow to settle, then strain off fat. Return liquid to Dutch oven and reduce to 1 cup over medium heat, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in bloomed gelatin; season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over meat and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guinness-Braised Boneless Short Ribs With Prunes
Serving Size: 1 (717 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1009.3
- Calories from Fat 680
- Total Fat 75.5 g
- Saturated Fat 31.7 g
- Cholesterol 150.9 mg
- Sodium 663.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 31.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: