1/1 Photo of Guinness Beef Stew in a Crock Pot
8 hrs 40 mins
With my Irish father in town, I wanted a ready-made meal after a long day of sight-seeing. I chose a hearty beef stew and wanted to incorporate his favorite beer, Guinness. I was worried that we left it in too long, but after 10 hours on low and 2 hours on warm ( it was a long day of sight-seeing) it was still awesome! Makes a flavorful, thick sauce to dip bread in. I filled the crock pot to the top because I wanted enough for them to have lunch left-overs, so decrease the amounts if needed. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8-10 red potatoes, skin on, quartered
- 6 carrots, peeled, sliced into thick chunks
- 2 stalk celery, cut in chunks
- 3 bay leaves
- 1360.77 g stew meat, cubed (I used chuck)
- 118.29 ml flour
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 0.25 ml garlic powder
- 29.58-44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 226.79 g baby portabella mushrooms, halved
- 2 (453.59 g) can tomato sauce
- 304.75 g beef broth (I used consomme)
- 13 g envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml creole seasoning (Tony Chachere's)
- 4.92 ml Italian herb seasoning (Mrs. Dash)
- 340.19 g beer (Guinness, draught or stout)
- 236.59 ml frozen peas, if desired
- 1Put potato, carrot, and celery chunks in the bottom of crock pot. Top with 2 bay leaves.
- 2Season flour with a dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder and coat the beef with the flour mixture. Heat a couple of tbsp of olive oil over med-high heat in a large skillet and add 1 bay leaf. Sauté beef in batches, just until browned.(It took me about 3 batches in a 12" skillet). Add more oil to pan as necessary for each batch. Remove and set aside.
- 3Add onion and garlic to the same pan and sauté over med heat for a few minutes, then add about half the can of beef broth to deglaze, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. (That's Flavor!).
- 4Add meat and onions to crock pot, top with mushrooms.
- 5Mix remaining beef broth with tomato sauce, onion soup mix, remaining seasonings, and add to crock pot. Pour in most of bottle of beer (whatever fits, I had a few sips left for me).
- 6Cook 8 hours on low heat. Stir in frozen peas when done, they'll heat up on their own.
- 7Serve with crusty French bread!
- 8*Tony Chachere's and Mrs. Dash are my "go-to" seasonings for everything. You can use your favorite if these are not available.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guinness Beef Stew in a Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (542 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.9
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 87.0 mg
- Sodium 663.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 36.5 g