Recipe by Manami
We had a Caribbean meal at my friend Yoyi's house and it was really a lot of fun with good eats, great storries, wonderful music and so-on. Most of us were from Cuba; different school's and different provinces but the music was still the same. One of the dishes was guava & sauteéd mango, adding subtle sweetness to this elegant dish. She paired it with a crisp, dry white wine with tropical fruit notes, like Pinto Gris."Tastes of the Worlds" is where she found this delectable dish. :) *Cover chicken breasts and chill 4 hours and guava/creamcheese/spinach mixture chill for at least 2 hours.* The chicken breast pockets once they are filled can be made up to 4 hours ahead.*
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 6 large chicken breasts (skinless & boneless)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons guava paste (about 1 1/2 oz)
- 2 1⁄2 ounces fresh spinach leaves, chopped (2 cups loosely packed)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry whte wine
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 large mango, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl; add chicken breasts & turn to coat.
- Cover chicken breasts and chill 3 to 4 hrs, turning occasionally.
- Whisk cream cheese & guava paste in medium bowl to blend.
- Stir in spinach; cover and chill to firm slightly, at least 2 hrs; then transfer to pastry bag or zip-lock plastic bag with a corner cut off.
- Remove 1 chicken breast from marinade, scraping excess marinade back into bowl.
- Insert small sharp knife into 1 side of chicken breast, move knife in arc to create large pocket, keeping opening about 1 1/4 inches long.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Pipe filling through openings in chicken breasts to fill pockets.
- Close openings with metalturkey pins or toothpicks.
- Heat 1 T canola oil in each of 2 heavy large skillet skillets over medium heat.
- Add 3 chicken breasts to each skillet & cook until brown about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer any juices from 1 skillet into second skillet & add wine and broth; bring second skillet to boil.
- Add chicken brests to wine mixture in skillet.
- Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through, basting occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to work surface - let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in another heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mango slices and sauté until brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Slice chicken diagonally into 1/2 inch slices.
- Arrange chicken on platter.
- Boil juices in skillet until slightly thickened and sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 3 minutes.
- Drizzle sauce over chicken & surround with mango.