Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is quick and fun for all ages. If on a college budget serve over cooked ramen noodles.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup, condensed
- 4 ounces mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream or 3⁄4 cup yogurt
- In medium skillet, brown ground beef and onion; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic salt, pepper, soup and mushrooms.
- Simmer covered, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream; heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve over rice, noodles or chow mein noodles.
Using sour cream (not yogurt), this recipe is almost identical to the one I found on a Campbell's mushroom soup can label 35 years ago and have been using ever since. Served over noodles and with a vegetable on the side, this recipe feeds 4 people (adults, not teenage boys!). Sometimes, for a treat, I substitute thin-cut strips of sirloin steak for the ground beef.
This is quick and simple! I had some ground beef already browned from a previous meal and was literally done making dinner in 15 minutes [time included the egg noodle cooking time]. I added a little extra garlic salt and doubled the mushrooms. My husband, who ever does, went for seconds and even licked the serving spoon. Definitely a keeper!
Everyone had seconds and there was none left for my lunch. Boo - Hoo.