Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Easy, filling and perfect for a winter's day.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 cups finely chopped/shredded cabbage
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In large skillet, brown ground beef and onion, till meat is brown and onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Transfer meat mixture to crockpot.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting 5 1/2 to 6 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
This was so easy to make. The thyme was rather strong (I used 2 t. of dried leaf thyme) so the next time I make this I'll use 1/2 teaspoon. I was worried about the ratio of rice to broth that this may be soupy. But the rice absorbed all the liquid. Make sure you stir this as it cooks so the rice does not stick to the edges. Thank you for sharing.