Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 lb hamburger
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken and rice soup
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups chow mein noodles
- Cook and stir hamburger, celery and onion until hamburger is light brown, then drain.
- Pour water on rice and add salt in greased 2qt casserole.
- Stir in hamburger, soup, mushrooms, sugar, soy sauce and margarine.
- Cover and cook in 350f oven for 30 min; stir.
- Cook uncovered for 30 min longer.
- Stir in noodles, serve immediately.
- Note: Water chestnuts or bamboo shoots may be added if desired.
I rated a 4 because I had no celery or mushrooms, instead I grated in 4 small carrots. Maybe could have used a bit more soya sauce or something for more flavour. A nice and easy recipe, tasted good too. I will try this again, and experiment with flavourings then rate again with the results.
Was in Florida @ condo without a cookbook and looked online for a Chow Mein recipe. Tried this and have made it a number of times since. Have added chow mein vegetables or bean sprouts to original recipe as we like that extra crunch.
Recipe was on the money! My wife and I really enjoyed it. I added some crushed up cashews and a little more soy sauce. Thank you for sharing!