Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe I found on TOH website which sounds like it would be a good and healthy non-meat lunch. Here is what the author of the recipe states: "Wow! Meat lovers won’t even miss the meat, but they will rave about the simply fabulous flavor of this hearty grilled veggie sandwich! It’s wonderful with ciabatta bread’s crispy crust and light, airy texture. This recipe’s a keeper! Diana Tseperkas – Hamden, CT. Living here in FL, especially during the hot summers, I really appreciate grilled recipes to help keep the house cooler.
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, quartered
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 loaf ciabatta, halved lengthwise (14 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the zucchini, pepper, onion and salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Drain and discard marinade.
- Brush cut sides of bread with oil; set aside. Place vegetables on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm. Grill bread, oil side down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, peel and garlic. Spread over bread bottom; sprinkle with cheese. Top with vegetables and remaining bread. Cut into four slices.
This was an awesome sandwich! I cut it down for lunch for just the 2 of us. We enjoyed it very much. I just love grilled veggies anyway so this was sure to be a winner with us.
These sandwiches were really good! We subbed eggplant for the onion and all went very well with the lemon and feta (which I think we ended up doubling).
Made for a great after school snack. I did omit the red onion, and subbed a green pepper for the ref pepper. We are not red onion fans, though I would like to try this again with white onions. kids enjoyed too.