Recipe by Annisette
Feel free to substitute other veggies. If you don't have a grill, you can cook this on an indoor grill pan instead. Cooking time includes a 30 minute marinade. From VT May/June 2006
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH and I made this salad for lunch today and really enjoyed it. We grilled the vegetables on our stovetop grill pan since it is very cold here right now. I am looking forward to making it again in the summer when we can use the BBQ. Very refreshing--loved the tang of the balsamic. This was a great healthy way to start our New Year's resolutions. I will definitely make this salad again. Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 2 medium portabella mushrooms (remove stems)
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2 inch rings (about 2 cups)
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
- salt, to taste (optional)
- pepper, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, parsley, basil, and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Toss the sauce with the asparagus, mushrooms, and onion. Place in a shallow baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the vegetables marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Coat the grill rack or grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Place the spinach leaves in a large bowl and set aside.
- Drain the asparagus mixture, reserving the marinade.
- Grill the vegetables, turning occasionally, until they are tender and lightly charred (about 6-8 minutes).
- Transfer the grilled vegetables to a cutting board and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Cut the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the grilled vegetables to the spinach.
- Transfer the marinade to a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour over the salad mixture. Use tongs to toss the salad and marinade.
- Test for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve immediately.