Prep 30 mins
Cook 16 mins
A hearty, filling, delicious hot grilled sandwich. Good during cold weather.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 16 slices colby-monterey jack cheese or 16 slices swiss cheese
- 8 slices deli roast beef (or left-over roast beef, sliced thin)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- garlic salt
- In a large skillet, cook the onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and garlic in hot oil, until tender; stir frequently; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- On four slices of bread, place two slices cheese, two slices of beef, and one-fourth of vegetable mixture on each bread slice.
- Top with remaining cheese and bread slices.
- Spread butter on the outsides of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle lightly with garlic salt.
- On a hot griddle or in a hot skillet, grill sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Shocked on how much my family loved this, they were raving over it! Sprinkled the swiss with dried Italian Seasoning herbs prior to browning which added a great extra taste Thank You NurseDi-
I made this for dinner tonight for my husband and son and they both loved it! I will make this again! Thanks!
This was a nice change from the typical philly cheese type sandwich. I used homemade cheesebread, shaved leftover roast beef and omitted the garlic salt. Very filling- thanks Di.