Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is grilling guru Chris Schlesinger's creation. It was in the 9/22/04 Post Dispatch.
- 3 tablespoons ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons ground paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, divided
- 4 (12 -14 ounce) pork ribs or 4 (12 -14 ounce) pork loin chops, about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled, sliced thin
- 3 peaches, pitted, cut into medium cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into medium cubes
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Light grill charcoal and get to medium heat (can hold hand over coals 4-5 seconds).
- While grill heats, prepare chops and sauce.
- Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, 1 Tbsp salt, 3 Tbsp black pepper, and 1 Tbsp brown sugar in small bowl; mix well. Rub the pork chops generously on both sides with the spice rub. Set the chops aside while making the sauce.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 11 to 13 minutes. Add peaches, ginger and tomatoes; cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar, orange juice, remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar, allspice and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture is reduced by about half and thickened slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings, then transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup sauce for basting the chops; pour the remaining sauce into a small serving bowl.
- Cook the chops on the grill, turning once, until they reach the desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes a side, baste the chops generously with sauce.
- Serve the chops hot with extra barbecue sauce on the side.