Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from Vegetarian Times. You may also purchase balsamic reduction at the store instead of reducing it yourself. If you've never grilled bread before, definitely give this a try. It's fabulous and really complements the creamy eggplant well. I served this with fresh strawberries and some good olives on the side.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs small eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- vegetable oil, for grill
- 1 baguette, halved lengthwise
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- fresh basil, torn
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with 2 t salt, place in colander and let stand 30 minutes. Wipe off salt and moisture with paper towels.
- Mix olive oil, thyme, 2 t salt and 1/2 t pepper in a medium bowl. Reserve 1 T oil mixture.
- Place vinegar in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook until reduced by half, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in reserved 1 T oil mixture & let cool.
- Preheat grill to medium; brush grill with vegetable oil.
- Brush eggplant slices generously with oil mixture, leaving enough to grill the bread. Grill eggplant, covered, until slightly charred and tender, about 4 minutes per side.
- Increase grill temperature to high. Brush baguette with remaining oil mixture and grill until toasted, about 3 minutes. Cut baguette into pieces in various sizes.
- Place eggplant, baguette, and feta on a large platter. Drizzle eggplant with feta, then sprinkle torn basil over top. Serve with remaining vinegar mixture.