Recipe by kiwidutch
Summer is the best time for corn, and we especially love corn grilled. This is a great refreshing summer salad, or double for a main dish. Serve with crusty french bread and a good chardonnay. Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION: Mexico.
- 6 ears corn
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, plus
- additional olive oil, for brushing the corn and the shrimp
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 25)
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 1 large fresh jalapeno chile, including the seeds, minced (wear rubber gloves)
- 1⁄3 cup loosely packed fresh coriander, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 bunches watercress, rinsed well, spun dry, and coarse stems discarded
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush the corn with some of the additional oil and grill it on a rack set about 6 inches over glowing coals, turning it, for 15 minutes, or until it is golden brown. Let the corn cool until it can be handled.
- Working over a bowl, with serrated knife cut the kernels from the cobs and with the back of the knife scrape the pulp from the cobs.
- Brush the shrimp with some of the additional oil, grill them on the rack, turning them, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until they are cooked through, and transfer them to the bowl. Stir in the onion, the jalapeño, and the coriander.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, the vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, add the remaining 1/3 cup oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
- Pour the dressing over the corn mixture and combine the salad well. Divide the watercress among 6 plates and spoon the salad over it.