"It’s amazing how a quick and simply marinade can change the flavors of zucchini and yellow squash. This lemony-peppery mixture really wakes them up. This may seem to be in reverse order—grill, then marinate—but it’s a classic Italian technique that creates great results.”—Bobby Flay
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- Heat grill to high.
- Brush zucchini and yellow squash with 1 tablespoon oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill cut side down until light golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and continue grilling until just thoroughly cooked, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Remove from grill and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, lemon rind, red pepper flakes and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add zucchini, yellow squash and basil; toss to coat. Cover and let sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours before serving.