Summer heat came late and left a bit early this year...leaving lots of green tomatoes! This "throw together" green tomato salsa was declared "the best salsa I've ever had" by my brother-in-law. Cooking time includes canning process.
- 2267.96 g green tomatoes, chopped small (as you prefer for salsa)
- 6 yellow onions, chopped (4 cups)
- 3 jalapenos, chopped with seeds (1/2 cup)
- 4 large red bell peppers, chopped (2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 236.59 ml lime juice
- 118.29 ml vinegar
- 14.79 ml salt
- 7.39 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml dried oregano leaves
- 9.85 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml cayenne (optional, to taste)
- 4.92-9.85 ml sugar
- Combine everything in a large pot, mixing well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To continue canning, bring salsa to a boil.
- Ladle salsa into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe lids and jar edges clean before finger tightening lids and placing them back in the boiling canning pot.
- Process (boil) jars for 15 minutes.
- Remove carefully and let sit for 24 hours. Check lids for seal, and refrigerate any unsealed jars.