Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Basic Green pea soup with dried split peas and a ham or bacon knuckle for flavouring. You may put in a piece of bacon instead. This is from 'Practical Cookery'
- 500 g split peas (soaked overnight)
- 4 liters water
- 150 g carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 125 g ham knuckle or 125 g bacon
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- stale bread (cubed)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the soaked peas in a pan, cover with the water, bring to the boil .
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until the peas are tender.
- remove the ham hock, bayleaf and carrot and liquidise.
- Correct seasoning.
- Toss the cubed bread with the remaining ingredients in a frying pan until they get lightly browned.
A good basic soup. I used smoked pork ribs ( about 250-300g) added a stick of celery, a potatoe(makes the end result creamier) and a finely chopped fresh green chilly. I grow my own herbs and added a boquet garni of sage, thyme and ropsemary tied up with string. Oh yes, added the onion whole with a few cloves stuck into it, I think a nice tart apple would also add interest, a Granny Smith here in South africa. Lovely rich soup for a blustery winters day