Recipe by Geema
My mother made this dish as a special treat for us when I was a kid. It's not fancy, but we sure thought it was wonderful. This recipe is how she made it, but there is plenty of room for your own creativity, tailoring it to suit your family's tastes.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
We really enjoyed this dish Geema, I made as stated, but I also added in fresh garlic and 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes when sauteeing the onion, I also made a couple of adjustments with the amounts, I did use the spinach fettuccini which I think made a huge difference in the taste, we loved this, thanks for sharing!...Kitten:)
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped ripe olives
- 12 ounces spinach fettuccine
- 8 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast or stew chicken according to your favorite method. Mom bought one already cooked at the grocery deli.
- Remove meat from chicken and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil on medium, and saute the green pepper, onions, and mushrooms until just tender.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil and add noodles, cooking until tender. Do not drain, but leave the noodles in the broth.
- Add chicken and saute mixture to pot of noodles.
- Add peas, olives and pimentos to pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a 3 quart casserole, ladle 1/2 of chicken/noodle mixture, then sprinkle with 1/2 of cheese. Pour in remaining mixture then top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake, covered for 45 minutes in a preheated 325 degree oven.
- Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes, until cheese is lightly browned.