ex-NYU 2L's Note:
I found this on Epicurious and have modified it to my tastes. Their description: "Tired of chili con carne? This warming pozole-inspired stew is a welcome departure. Its spiciness depends on the heat of the jalapeños you use."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium white onions, quartered
- 10 green chilies, roasted, stemmed and shucked
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground pork or 2 lbs stew meat
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (30 ounce) cans white hominy, rinsed and drained (also called pozole)
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- pumpkin seeds
- 1Purée onion, chiles, and garlic with 1 cup chicken broth in a blender.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown pork, stirring and breaking up clumps with a fork, just until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot.
- 3Add remaining 6 tablespoons oil to pot and heat over moderately high heat until hot, then carefully add purée (it will spatter), cumin, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened and most of liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- 4Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in frying pan. Slice jalapeno and, when the oil is hot, fry the slices up.
- 5Add pork, hominy, and remaining 2 1/2 cups broth and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Serve chili sprinkled with pumpkin seeds, jalapenos, and cheese.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chili With Pork
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 726.2
- Calories from Fat 402
- Total Fat 44.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 121.5 mg
- Sodium 949.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 39.8 g