Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have made this with a variety of different meats. Cooked chicken, turkey, and pork roast are all great, this is one of my stand-bys for leftover protein. If I don't have any leftover cooked meat in the freezer then I make it the following way with ground chicken, pork or turkey. I actually created this for use with leftover Thanksgiving turkey. If making with cooked meat, just skip browning the meat, and just cook the onion and pepper with the spices, then add the cooked meat with the remaining ingredients. Measurements are slightly approximated, and if you want it spicy then add a chopped serrano or jalapeno to the mix. If not using a nonstick pan you made need to add a bit of extra oil or water to the meat when browning so it doesn't stick.
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 poblano chile, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (11 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled tortilla chips, processed in food processor to 1/3 c crumbs
- 1 dash hot sauce
- coarse salt
- 1 lime
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In nonstick Dutch oven over med-high heat, cook chicken in oil til almost all pink is gone, about 4-5 minutes, breaking up large chunks with spoon or fork. Add onion, poblano, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and cook til veggies are soft and meat is done. You may need to add a little water to keep from sticking.
- Add spices and 1/4 c water to pan. Cook and stir til water evaporates, about 3 minutes. Add enchiliada sauce, beans, broth and crushed tortilla chips. Bring to a bubble, then lower heat to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, at least 30 minutes, stirring every once in a while and crushing some of the beans with the back of the spoon to thicken to your liking.
- Juice lime into chili. Taste, then season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Serve with cilantro, cheese, green onion, and additional tortilla chips.