Recipe by Oolala
My friend, Amy, gave me this recipe for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. Great if you want a fast and easy preparation that is healthy. You may double depending upon your crowd. This recipe calls for a pound of fresh beans and 3 onions.
Top Review by MontereyMadi
My husband really liked these. I like a different flavor in green beans (garlic and oil). The onions were amazing! I only had one red onion and some shallots so I used those. Thank you.
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed, cut into small pieces if desired
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan; add beans and cook 6 minutes or until crisp tender; drain, keep warm.
- Heat oil in large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add onions and saute 8 minutes for until browned.
- Add broth; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in vinegar and remaining ingredients.
- Stir in beans; cover and cook 2 minutes.