Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love this bean recipe it looks good and tastes very good! I love beans still quite crisp but if you like them well done it's your call! The touch of cardamom gives a slightly mysterious flavor hint. For a Vegetarian version use vegetable stock
- 1 2⁄3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed peppercorn, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- coarse salt
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄2 lemon, rind and white pith removed
- Combine the stock,lemon juice, lemon zest& ginger in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling until reduced to apprx 1/3 cup (apprx 10 minutes).
- Stir in the pepper corns, cardamom& salt, set aside.
- Meanwhile steam the beans until tender crisp apprx 7 minutes or you may place them in boiling water for apprs 5 minutes- Do not over cook they should still be crisp and bright green.
- Chop the 1/2 lemon quite fine (you have already removed it from the rind and the pith).
- Heat the glaze (chicken stock et al) so it is piping hot just as the beans are finished cooking.
- Drain the beans, place on heated serving platter.
- Pour glaze over the beans& scatter the chopped lemon on top.
I used a chicken flavoured vegetable stock by Massel but otherwise kept to the recipe. I didn't know what to expect from this so was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the combination of lemon and cardamom. Definitely worth trying!
Good beans! The lemon and cardamom is a unique combination that went well together. We thought that when these were first made, they could have used a bit more flavor. It was better leftover, as the flavors had more time to blend. Thanks for posting!
These are delicious beans! I used vegetable stock. We loved the flavours of the lemon and cardamom. They went perfect. Thanks so much!